Saturday, February 18, 2012

Very Happily Unmarried

I've been thinking lately about the difference between being "single" or being "unmarried." I find this to be an interesting quandary. As in the gay or straight community, people cohabiting are technically single if they are not "legally" married, but may still consider themselves a "couple" and some have limited couple rights under the "domestic partnership" clause offered in some states. Other cohabiters, such as roommates  or friends living together, would consider themselves "single." Both the unmarried couple  and the single cohabiters are denied certain rights entitled to "legally" married people even if those married people are NOT living together.
Gays and lesbians should have the same rights as every other citizen in this country... it is blatant discrimination against a minority to deny them those rights (it would be the same as saying Blacks, Jews or interracial couples cannot marry). As the joke goes: A straight person said, "Sure gays and lesbians should have the right to marry! Why shouldn't they suffer as much as we do?" Being that the divorce rate is over 50%, it seems to me that marriage isn't all it's cracked up to be. Even domestic violence is on the rise... doesn't that tell us that something's wrong with this institution? Or what about the fact (or phenomena) that so many people cheat on their spouses... marriage isn't some kind of panacea.
I prefer the label "unmarried" for myself because I don't feel "single"... yet I do feel independent and at the same time interdependent.  I have such a wonderful array of family, friends, acquaintances, groups, activities and an excellent social life consisting of men, women, both married and unmarried, gay and straight, young and old, and feel very connected with all of them.
"Single" could refer to someone who has never been married (for whatever reason) while the term "unmarried" could be used for those who are single, divorced, or widowed and therefore a more general term for those who want to preserve their privacy about their relationship history. Unmarried sounds like a very positive, proactive choice about one's marital status.  I even find that when filling out forms and they ask if you're "single," "married," "divorced," or "widowed," I always write in "unmarried."
Personally, I think that the whole "legal" institution could be dismantled. People should be able to live together... or not. Love each other... or not. Have children together... or not. And it should all be good. And, as far as the financial aspects, contracts or agreements could be drawn up to cover "what happens if... " situations (like Trusts, Wills, Partnerships, etc.)
With all that said,  I was wondering what others think about this. So, just consider this "one reporter's opinion." I've been married, I've been coupled, I've cohabited, and now I'm very happily unmarried and plan to stay this way. Ahhh, life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment